Valentine's Day has come and gone while the focus of CYP this month remains on all types of Heart disease. Did you know that the most common chronic illnesses among family members of CYP participants is a variety of heart related conditions?
Caring for someone with a heart or a heart related condition can be frightening. One of the scary things is knowing that the heart is vital to living and another is that change can happen unexpectedly. These two factors alone can make caring for someone with heart disease super stressful.
There are several things you can do to ease the heart-related stress:
- Make sure the location ID is activated on the cell phone of you and your family member so that in case of an emergency, first responders know your location.
- Stick to the medication routine.
- Keep the list of medications updated and in a place where it can easily be found.
- Help your family member follow the prescribed healthy diet and exercise.
- Enjoy the gift of each day.
No matter what health condition your family member has, there are always many things that can happen way beyond your control and even beyond the control of your family member. Always do the best you can so that you will experience reduced stress and frustrations; accept that everything can't always be fixed.
Finally, if heart disease is in your family, do all that you can to reduce your risk factors by lowering your stress, keeping a normal weight, eating healthy foods and doing regular aerobic exercises!